Minimum Persons : 0
Maximum Persons : 10
The Salt Mountain Cultural Park in Cardona grows every year, occupying a depression of the terrain in an elongated ellipse shape near Montserrat. In this combined visit to both emblematic places, Get chance to be enchanted by the spirituality of the magic mountain of Catalonia, with its monastery and beautiful views as well as the history of the unique natural phenomenon in Cardona.
Your journey will start from Barcelona in a comfortable coach towards the municipality of Cardona where the old salt mine lies. The Mountain of Sal of Cardona is a diapir that grows every year occupying a depression of the terrain in an elongated ellipse shape. It’s area extends to 1,800m long and 600m wide and a total area of 100 hectares. Its natural characteristics made the mountain worth being included in the Natural Interests of Catalonia.
After the closure of the mine, Salt Mountain Cultural Park was created. In the park you’ll get to see the history of the industrial exploitation of the Valley, along with the machinery used for mineral extraction from the walls. You’ll discover all this stuff and more on your interesting guided tour which will be at 86m deep.
You’ll then move on to Cardona Castle. In this visit you’ll be offered the possibility of going all over the modern fortress and some of the parts of the old Castle of Cardona, built in 886 by Wilfredo el Velloso; it’s a great mix of Romanic and Gothic styles. You’ll also get to see the Minyona tower which is 15 meters in height and the Romanesque church of San Vicente de Cardona.
Afterwards, you will head to a room, where brunch, composed of local food, one cup of wine and 'cava', will be served.
After brunch, you will hit the road towards Montserrat Mountain. The mountain is a multi-peaked rocky range formed of sedimentary rocks shaped by the wind and rain. Lots of people make up imaginary human and animal shapes in some of these peaks, giving them names and inventing legends to explain their fantastic origins. This trip will give you the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful and breathtaking views of the Montserrat Mountain, one of nature’s special creations.
You will go up to the Montserrat riding the Cogwheel train, which leaves you in the middle of the Monastery. It is a 15-minute trip with a spectacular view of the mountain. The train has panoramic windows, which is something that makes the journey more interesting and enjoyable. The train is also air-conditioned and completely wheelchair-friendly.
You will also get to visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which holds the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of Verge Moreneta “the Black Madonna”. You will be able to see this famous statue from distance.
You can have some free time to visit the audio visual exhibition, which is about the history and creation of Montserrat. Also taste liquors of Montserrat.
- Air conditioned motor coach.
- Bilingual guide.
- Entrance and visit to the Cardona Castle..
- Brunch composed of products from the typical gastronomy of the area paired with a glass of white wine, a glass of red wine and a glass of cava – typical alcoholic drink produced in the area..
- Entrance and visit to the Salt Mines.
- Taste of 3 typical liquors, handmade by the monks of the monastery.
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audiovisual Montserrat”. The exhibition is based on three fundamental pillars: mountain, monastery and sanctuary. It explains to its visitors the history, natural creation and significance of this pilgrimage site.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off.
- Other services not specified.
Additional info :
- Starting Time: 09:00 AM / Check-in Time: 08:45 AM
- Proper dress code is required to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
- Please be aware that this tour includes some walking, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- At the Montserrat there is mountain climate, depending on the season you will need clothes to protect you from the rain and/or cold.
- This tour is bilingual. ( English and Spanish speaking guides are available)
- This tour is only available on Thursdays and Saturdays.
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour begins.
Confirmation type :
The booking is available after 0 minutes of purchase.
Julià Travel Gray Line Spain office.
Carrer de Balmes nº 5, Barcelona
Cancellation policy :
- A 100% cancellation penalty applies if cancelled 24 hours or less prior to travel date or in case of no-show
- Children from 4-12 years get reduced prices.
- Infants from 0-3 years are free of charge.