This Kohl-making experience is aimed at educating visitors about the old Bedouin women’s kohl making techniques.
What you’re going to do
Kohl is an ancient eye cosmetic, traditionally made by grinding stibnite similar to charcoal for mascara. It is widely used in the Middle East, the Caucasus, North Africa, South Asia, West Africa, and the Horn of Africa as eyeliner to contour and/or darken the eyelids, and as a mascara. It is worn mostly by women, but also by some men and children. This experience will include the following:
- Arriving at the cooperative, you will be introduced to Arab Kohl and its value to Bedouins.
- You will learn more about the tools that are used in making Kohl and the methodology for making it.
- You can also take part in the production process of Kohl.
- After the Kohl is ready, it will then be put into special bottles for safe storage.
- Feel free to apply Kohl for yourself!
- If you're interested, you can buy the final product!
- Sales of crafts/products
- Bathrooms - shared
- Changing rooms
- Any other services not mentioned